Water Pump - 2018 Textron Havoc X Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Water Pump

Started leaking water VERY bad. Took the skid plate off and it very hard to see up in there but it looked like the water pump was probably the problem. Long story short. Took it to the closest dealer over an hour away (because the 3 closer dealers lost their Arctic Cat dealership). and they said "Yes, it's the water pump but the engine has to be partially removed and we need special tools to complete the job and Arctic Cat won't have said special tool until around Nov. 1. Getting a leary of this machine now. After I get it back I won't have a warranty anymore.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 09:40 AM

Garage
Itís probably not the water pump as much as the cover. I just had to have the pump inspected and resealed. The pump was ok, but the seal was leaking. Yes, the motor has to be lifted in order the get to that cover. Certainly a PIA But they must of had the tool because they did not mention that. 👍
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I think it's probably more than just a seal on this one. I rode it over to a friends house and when I backed out there was a puddle about 2' round. Filled it up with just water and when I backed out there was a STREAM coming out. I would think a seal would just give me a drip or MAYBE a heavy drip but this was a steady stream coming out.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Garage
Yeah, I would say it is more than the seal. I do know there has been a few folks that had to have the pump replaced. If Iím not mistaken, there might have been a recall for certain VINs. You might check. Good luck and keep us updated.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 02:38 PM

Under the machine on the oil tank side of engine looking up there is a water pump weep hole. Check to see if this is where the coolant is coming from. That is the only water pump related seal, Its called a slide ring seal and I have replaced mine with the updated seal kit. It is a complete pain in the butt. The pump itself is just a plastic impeller bolted to the crankshaft snout under the oil cooler bracket cover. The other areas coolant could leak are the "oil cooler bracket cover seal" and the seals to the oil cooler itself as its water cooled. Check the thermostat housing also and all hoses. The slide ring seal is common from my talk I had with Weber motors but yours sounds like a major leak. I replaced my slide ring seal for oil coming out of my weep hole as the seal keeps oil in on one side and a separate ring keeps coolant in on the other and the weep hole in center is to prevent cross contamination as well alert you of seal failure. 1k miles since the updated seal and all is perfec still.
Cadydid likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Garage
Thanks Gearhead. I need to take a look at that because I seem to have a very slight oil leak, but canít figure where itís actually coming from. The coolant part appears to be resolved as I havenít lost any antifreeze once I refilled it. Any way you could take a picture of where that ring seal is located?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadydid View Post
Thanks Gearhead. I need to take a look at that because I seem to have a very slight oil leak, but can’t figure where it’s actually coming from. The coolant part appears to be resolved as I haven’t lost any antifreeze once I refilled it. Any way you could take a picture of where that ring seal is located?
The slide ring seal is located behind the water pump cover or as called in the repair manual the "oil cooler bracket" yes the oil cooler bolts to the cover also but why they call it a bracket I have no clue. If you just had this replaced it's also a oil seal as much as it's a coolant seal. Anyways behind the cover is coolant and the water pump impeller once impeller nut is removed the pump shaft will thread out and pull the entire slide ring assembly out. It's actually 3 seals total. You have to remove so much stuff to do the job its little ridiculous. The seats have to come out and brackets, both side panels, the fuel tank the front engine mounts both sides and both side lower and pass side upper engine mounting brackets have to be removed all to gain access the water pump cover. I did it myself and did buy the tools to install the new seal kit. Bought it all from www.weberpower.com called the guy up and he was super friendly. Anyways attached a couple pics of what side of the engine this is all one (opposite belt side) and the arrows show the water pump weep hole location. If that's leaking oil the seal kit is needed. I took measurements with my dial caliper and the new updated seal for the oil was much smaller creating a tighter seal. You have to be very careful installing the seal assembly as the seal likes to not slide over the snout of the counter balance shaft and will not seal oil if it does not go over correctly. If it's just dripping a few drops after a ride I would leave it alone. I dont know your skill level but it's a moderate skilled procedure to install and a very particular step to get all the air out of the system once new coolant is added. If it becomes air bound on start up the new seal will over heat and fail. I have all the instruction from the engine repair book for everything if its something you want to take on. Also check all your oil hoses going from the engine oil pan to the oil tank and the engine vent hose. Also check the oil cooler to make sure that's not the culprit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product_sm_offroad_2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200829-214616_Hancom Office Widget & PDF Viewer.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200829-214648_Hancom Office Widget & PDF Viewer.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	609  
Cadydid likes this.

Last edited by GearHead86; 08-29-2020 at 10:23 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mine is already at the dealership. The mechanic said it would be Nov 1st until Arctic cat would have the tool to install the seal kit. How much was the tool? The mechanic also said something about having 1 out of the 3 pieces the tool comes with. Does the seal install tool come in 3 pieces?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I ordered the 3 piece tool yesterday. Looks like a seal driver basically. Almost $90. Funny that the dealership/Arctic Cat couldn't get it until November but I got a hold of Weber and they shipped it out within a couple hours.
Cadydid likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 09:32 PM

Is that the passenger side of the engine that leaks? Mine leaks too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page