EPI Clutch Kit - 2018 Textron Havoc X Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By HavocBackCountry
  • 1 Post By HavocBackCountry

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

EPI Clutch Kit

Well trying something new on my problem child. When I first got this a year ago you couldn't shift it without shutting it off or it would grind really bad. Well 2 weeks later got it back only to. Never mind this pos has spent almost at much time at the dealer as it has at my house. Anyhow after having the transmission replaced do to it popping out of gear for no reason after a few short miles its trying to grind going into gear. Well instead of bringing it back to the shop that cant adjust the clutch any better than the factory I'm going to try and do it myself and put in this EPI kit while I'm at it. It will probably take a couple of weeks until I get to it but I will try and provide an update when its done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97997726_562597281115308_4918215467815927808_n[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	539  
Cadydid likes this.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:29 PM

Are you putting the clutch kit in to get better clutch response or looking for a performance upgrade? The reason I ask is I've been thinking about a clutch kit to try and get rid of the low speed jerkyness on my 2018 Havoc X. I talked to EPI about their clutch kit. The person I talked to said that their clutch kit would raise the engagement rpm and probably make the jerkyness worse.

Let us know how it works out for you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:52 PM

2018 Havoc X

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocBackCountry View Post
Well trying something new on my problem child. When I first got this a year ago you couldn't shift it without shutting it off or it would grind really bad. Well 2 weeks later got it back only to. Never mind this pos has spent almost at much time at the dealer as it has at my house. Anyhow after having the transmission replaced do to it popping out of gear for no reason after a few short miles its trying to grind going into gear. Well instead of bringing it back to the shop that cant adjust the clutch any better than the factory I'm going to try and do it myself and put in this EPI kit while I'm at it. It will probably take a couple of weeks until I get to it but I will try and provide an update when its done.
1) don't use primary spring from kit, engagement is high enough on these Havoc's / Stampede's.
2) your offset dimension ( the amount of distance between primary/clutch & secondary/clutch is probably off. I suspected that myself without inspection,in re: to my ownbut guys on Facebook @Havoc & Stampede owners page confirmed this.They claim you have to put a shim behind secondary.Research snowmobile clutch offset,you will see what I mean
If offset is off it simulates being in gear when your not.It creates friction against side of belt,makes it hard to shift.Country cat dealership seems sensible.Person that said to shim secondary didn't say how much,you'll have to research that.They don't make it easy to find info on these,that's biggest problem. hope this helps somewhat.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 08:00 PM

With that EPI clutch kit secondary spring & helix will make the most difference anyway. You;ll get a better holeshot on low end & quicker upshift in midrange. If you were to change primary spring,I would recommend using a spring with same beginning rate/force & a little more rate on ending rate..Do some research on snowmobile clutching & you will see what I am referring too if you are confused
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

We raced snowmobiles for years so I'm pretty familiar with what to do. Its just ridiculous that the first time the factory screwed it up and now after numerous trips to the same dealer for recall items and other things, that they put a new transmission in and didn't take the time to align the clutch. Its just really frustrating that you can **** near buy a fricken new jeep for what you pay for these and the factory and the dealers don't seem to give a ****. I will say up until this trip to the dealer other than long wait times (usually for whatever you bring it in for its 2-3 weeks) has treated me pretty good but to not align the clutches after replacing the transmission seems pretty careless to me.
Cadydid likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page